Checklist for Finding YOUR KiTa
Many parents, especially first-time parents, find it challenging and overwhelming to select a childcare facility for their precious little ones in Zurich. Places for babies and toddlers are in high demand and parents should try to avoid feeling pressured while choosing the right place. Such an important decision is not easy to make based on a visit that lasts one or two hours and I recommend parents visit three to four places before committing. Based on my experience in Zurich facilities and things I took into consideration when building KiddieLand, here are some items to look for that might not be so obvious at first glance.
Visit and look for….
- Child-friendly infrastructure, ample bathroom capacity and appropriately-sized kitchen for the number of children they host.
- Age and quality of furniture.
- Childproof and secured facility. Look for caps on electrical outlets, locks on cabinets that children should not access, etc.
- Ample and varied toys and learning materials, as well as equipment to stimulate and encourage physical development.
- Does the facility have its own outdoor space?
- Where do children take naps? Look for potential hygiene issues related to bedwetting, for example.
Ask the manager or discretely try to find out…
- Do caregivers have up-to-date CPR and First Aid training?
- Are spontaneous visits possible? Encouraged?
- Can a sample nutrition plan be provided?
- Is sampling of lunch by the parents possible, especially without advance notice.
- What kind of educational training do the caregivers have?
- A list of parents (current and former) who have used your services?
Ultimately, the most important question you need to ask yourself is:
Do I feel good about my decision and am I truly comfortable leaving my child in the care of the chosen facility?
Good luck with your search!